CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Heart Walk

Heart attack and stroke are the top killers of those of us with type 2 diabetes. My coworker just had open heart surgery. My stepdad had open heart surgery. There've been lots of heart attacks and strokes in my family.

I'd already decided I wanted to start walking more. But just wanting to walk isn't always enough. Walking once or twice a week isn't enough. I need a goal, something to work on. My mom used to walk every day practically, and she walked 2 or 3 charity walks or marathon style walks every year.

So, I registered to walk in the American Heart Association's Heart Walk in my town. There are 2 routes, 1 mile and 3 miles. I know I can do 1 mile. But to do the 3 mile route, I will need to train several times a week. So Kevin and I are in training. (Kevin will go on the Heart Walk with me!)

Of course, this is a charity walk, which means I agreed to try to get donations. If you are so inclined, you can help out at my Heart Walk webpage (click here). Otherwise, your good wishes are enough!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Good luck with the walking! I need to get off my ass and start walking as well, but I just don't have any motivation. PLus Livvie hates her stroller. I guess I could wear her while I walk though.

Connie said...

Good luck with the walking! I quit work in January this year, and after many years as a desk zombie, I really(!) needed to start walking more too. In the morning when my husband leaves for work, we ride together and drop the kids off at school - a ritual we have always enjoyed. After the kids are in class, and hubby heads off to work, I walk home, which is about a mile away. Unfortunately, the traffic here is bad, so I do not walk back and forth with the kids, just me, but anytime I need to go to the school, to help out in a class or something, I walk. My legs are doing so much better - my feet still hate me, but I'm happy with slow progress.

Why not get a ride out every day with spouse or neighbor as they leave to go to work, or whatever, have them drop you and Kevin a mile out and you can walk back? Carry a cell phone of course! Unlike walking a round track, or around the block several times, it is not as easy to 'quit' when you have to keep going in order to get home! I used to do something similar when I was running in the Army... I'd head out running for 15-20mins, AWAY from home. Then, no matter how tired I got, I had to keep running for at least another 15-20minutes in order to get back... I'd cuss myself the whole way, but it worked. ;-D