CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, February 28, 2008

who are you and what did you do with my coworker?

A totally surreal moment today. The coworker that has been so hostile lately? Well, she comes to my desk and asks me if I have a moment, she wants to talk to me in private. So in my head, I'm thinking "shit... what did I do to make her mad at me..." and off we go to one of the small conference rooms.

So what did she want to talk to me about? Her first question, "Michele, can I ask why you didn't apply for my position?" well, the posting listed qualifications that I could not meet... they'd have never even let me test for it. Her next: "Do you want to move up to a better position?" Um. YEAH. I don't dig working reception. "Well you know Jane's position will open up soon, have you thought of applying for it?" (Jane, a fake name, is the gal who is taking my coworker's place and whose job I have already mentioned wanting to apply for).

She proceeds to tell me that she thinks I would be excellent for Jane's job, because basically it entails doing a lot of what I already do, but that I would be doing a bit more complicated stuff. That she's willing to help me out any way she can so that I can get the position. (huh WHAT?) We have a pleasant little discussion and then go back to work. A little bit later she gives me a book and shows me the parts to read that will help me, probably with parts of the test I will have to take. (sigh... nothing like HUD documents for light reading)

I am really appreciative of her help. And I will certainly take it. It's ironic that she's the one giving me the documents that I've asked for in the past (I've been wanting to study some of this stuff in the hopes of getting a promotional opportunity) and the other woman who I consider a friend has not offered these documents when I asked her for stuff to help me learn about our HUD policies.

Well anyway. If I ever stop being so friggin busy at work, I might get to do that exciting reading. I tried to find a titillating picture of the handbook I am going to read, but dang, the HUD website has no pictures of it's publications. dang. Oh well, you guys can just be jealous of me without the pic. :P

4 comments:

Julie said...

I'm super jealous. LOL

Not.

:)

Barb said...

That's great Michelle.
What a really nice compliment to you.
Good Luck! Keep us posted!

jennyquarx said...

I hope you get that job when it becomes available.

I so do not envy your reading material though. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I had no idea you linked to me and I found you through Julie's site...

And now I'm going to dive into your archives. There goes my day off.

:)